Thursday, January 12, 2012

Irony

I'm sure you find it ironic that I place my mound of grocery store bags beside my stash of reusable totes.  Maybe you find it hypocritical.  It's cool.  I am a very "green" person.  I recycle every single thing that can be recycled - including the little paper tags that come on tea bags.  It all goes into the recycling bin.  And the tea bags?  They go into the compost bin.  I compost anything that's compostable including nasty little Q-tips.  My OCD "green" ways drive my family crazy, but it's who I am.

So, why on Earth do I have all those plastic bags when I have so many reusable totes?

Let me explain.

Yes, I am environmentally focused.  However, I am also very financially focused.  I have several small trash cans in my house and I usually change them out about twice a week.  Why would I pay for small trash bags when I can get grocery store bags that fit them for free?

I also do a huge amount of my grocery shopping at the Commissary.  Once a month I load up two whole buggies full of stuff.  I have 21 reusable totes (I only paid for one of them) and they don't hold two buggies worth of stuff.  So, I end up coming home with some plastic bags.  What to do with them?  I reuse them!

I'm a complicated sort, but aren't we all?

Go HERE to check out 36 uses for those plastic grocery bags you bring home!
Just in case you're sitting on the fence like me. ;o)


Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. I know of a village on Long Island that has banned all plastic bags. When you shop you have to bring you own bags or for 5 cents buy a brown bag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a lot of places in California like that too.

    ReplyDelete