Monday, August 13, 2012

Another Lesson Learned

The last couple of weeks have been kind of crazy for me.  I've had a lot going on and then last night I went out to the freezer in the garage and saw a big bloody puddle gathering around it.  Yes, it was gross.  I opened up the freezer to find a horrible mess.  I checked my other freezer and it wasn't working either.  At least 95% of my frozen stockpile was GONE.  I stood there in disbelief.  All of my squirrel like gathering was in vain.  All of the frozen peas, corn, blueberries and tomatoes I put up, frozen waffles, Go-Gurts, Toaster Streudels, hamurger meat, pork chops, fish from our deep sea fishing trip, tons of venison, cartons of Breyer's ice cream and my husband's beloved ribeye steaks.  All gone.  I wanted to cry.  Thousands of dollars worth of food was ruined.

My hubby called our insurance company and we can claim it on our homeowner's.  That at least was good news.  However, I had to make a complete list of what all was in there.  That wasn't an easy task seeing as how I buy a lot of meat in bulk and break it down into smaller ziploc bags.  Not to mention the deer meat and fish.  It was difficult to catalog everything that I had.  Then I thought how I wished I had just kept a log of what I had to begin with.  It would have saved me a lot of time and effort.  I keep spreadsheets of pretty much everything else that goes on in the household - why didn't I do the same with my stockpile?

So, this week I will be working on my stockpile inventory list.  I will also be gathering info on all the other items in my house like the fridge, washer, dryer etc.  If something were to happen we would need the serial numbers and such and I'm not sure I have all of that.
I found a handy little worksheet HERE to help me out.

If you can find the time you may want to do the same.  It will probably save you a lot of time and effort.


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment