Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Couponing Basics - Using Your Coupons

Now we're getting down to the nitty gritty.  ;o)
 
Granted taking that $.30 off coupon to your local store and grabbing that jar of peanut butter will definitely save you $.30.  However, the goal of couponing is to make the MOST of that $.30.  There are ways to stretch and get more for your buck.

The first thing you want to do is wait for that rock bottom price to use that $.30 coupon.  And if you can find a place that will double your coupon.
 
Scenario:
Peter Pan Peanut Butter 16 oz. is regularly priced $3.24 at my local IGA store.
If I take my $.30/1 coupon to the IGA store I will pay $2.94.
Savings is savings.
 
However, I could hold that $.30/1 coupon for a sale at Publix where I know my coupon will double to $.60/1.
 
Example:  Starting tomorrow Publix will have the Peter Pan Peanut Butter B1G1 $3.49 making each bottle $1.75 each.  If I use my $.30/1 coupon then I will be paying just $1.15 a jar.  It will even be better if I pair that $.30/1 coupon with the $1/1 Publix coupon making my jar of PB just $.15.
 
$.15 is a lot better than $2.94 - especially when you have little rascals who go through a LOT of PB.
 
 
Here are some tips that will maximize your savings:
 
- When you are buying two items for a B1G1 sale you can use two coupons.  You are buying two items therefore you CAN use two coupons.
 
- If you have a BOGO coupon for an item that is on a BOGO sale you will get two items for free - depending on the store.  More and more stores are stopping this rule due to that godforsaken Extreme Couponing TV show.  Ugh...
 
- If you have a coupon that states "Save $__ off of X product when you buy product Y" you can also use a coupon for the Y product.  I know this seems confusing...
Example:  I recently had a peelie coupon that stated "Get a Free Bag of M&M's when you buy two boxes of Cocoa Rice Krispies."  I used a $1/2 Kellogg's cereals coupon AND the Free Bag of M&M's peelie.  Why, you ask?  Because the peelie was for the free bag of M&M's and since I was buying two other products I could use a coupon for those as well.
 
- When it comes to coupons it's ALL about the wording.  Read each coupon carefully.  Manufacturer's usually can't put a picture of all of their items on one coupon so they typically picture the higher priced items. This doesn't necessarily mean that's the only item the coupon is good for.  A lot of times a coupon will say for "any" of the particular brand's items.
Example: You can print a coupon HERE for $1 off ANY one Nature Made product so you can use it on any product that Nature Made carries.  There is no limitations listed.  They also have a coupon that is for $1 off Nature Made Fish Oil.  So, that coupon can only be used on the Fish Oil products.
 
- If you find that an item on sale is out of stock ask for a raincheck!  Most stores will do this without hesitation.


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment