Monday, August 12, 2013

Handle School Mornings Like a Pro

Is there even a "Pro" for something like that?

I've made it no secret that I am not a morning person.  At all.  It takes copious amounts of coffee just to make me functional and that's even after 8 hours of sleep.  I walk around in a haze up until around 8 am.  So, it takes quite a bit of planning and organization to get things done in the hustle and bustle of school mornings.  There is one thing that absolutely saves me.  I do everything I can the night before.  If it can be done ahead of time I do it.  The less I have to do before sun up the better I am.

I've shared before that I no longer buy Uncrustables because I got a handy dandy Pampered Chef Cut-n-Seal sandwich sealer.  I got mine off of Ebay or you can find similar items on Amazon.
I just make them, pop them in the sandwich container and put them in the freezer.  They thaw out perfectly by lunchtime.  I then put the drink boxes and fruits in the fridge.  All shelf stable foods (like cookies & crackers) I just put in the lunch boxes and leave on the counter for easy access in the mornings. Doing everything the night before helps me not to forget anything.



I sign papers and put them back in the backpacks.  After double checking that everything is there (like pencils and paper) I then place book bags by the door so the kids can grab them on the way out.

Also, it helps a lot to pick out clothes the night before and have them laid out ready to put on.  I double check with the kids to make sure they like what I choose for them to wear so I avoid a tantrum in the morning.  My son is generally OK with what I choose, but my daughter is another story.  Miss fashionista is picky about what she wears.

Keeping a calendar on my fridge has also been a tremendous help because if it's not written down in front of my face everyday I WILL forget.  Early signs of alzheimers?  Let's hope not.

I also find that keeping our breakfast items simple works well for us.  The kids usually eat cereal, instant oatmeal, instant grits, or anything that can be popped in the microwave in a jiffy like frozen pancakes or frozen biscuits.  I save the cooking for the weekend mornings.  The kids look forward to helping me in the kitchen on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

You will still have crazy and hectic mornings, but I hope this helps!


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment