Thursday, January 09, 2014

I'm A Mean Mom

I'm sitting here with my lovely glass of wine.  I've found that my best blogging abilities come out when I'm downing some Merlot.  This hasn't been the best week for me so my Friday wine sippage (I can make up words if I want to) got moved up to Thursday.  Don't worry I'm not going be a downer tonight I just wanted to bring something up and see if other moms feel the same way.  Recently, I was called a "mean mom" not by my own children, but by another mom.  I don't let name calling bother me.  I don't have time for all of that silliness.  But I would like to say (or slur at the moment) to the world that "Yes! I am a "mean mom" and I'm damn proud of it."  You see...the thing I did that makes me a mean mom is I wouldn't let my son go somewhere with someone I did not know.  I had no clue who this person was.  Why would I let him go off with someone I did not know?  Why would any mom do that?  Yes. I am mean.

My meanness does not end there.  I do not let my children have Facebook accounts.  Nope.  I see day in and day out the ugliness and bullying that goes on in social media and I plan on sheltering them from it as long as I can.  I think that at this point in their lives there's really no need for it.  They see their friends at school and we have phones.  Got something to say?  Call them.  The Facebook accounts can wait.

As if that wasn't enough my malice goes on.  I give my kids chores and make them work for stuff that they really want.  Granted my four year old isn't much help in the chores department, but he does a great job at wiping off the table.  As they get older they will understand that in this life you must work for what you want.  I've been told that this is "mean."  I'm being "mean" to them by giving them $30 video games for raking the leaves?  OK.

Want to know how far it goes?  I make my kids redo their homework if it's not right.  Yep.  I'll make them stay up until midnight until I see the kind of work I know they can do.  No half-ass work done here - not where I can see it.  My kids will learn to do it right and when they get in college they will appreciate that I was so "mean."

Bottom line?  If doing the absolute best for my children and making sure they become well rounded, successful people makes me a "mean mom" then I am totally OK with that.  I choose to do what's best for my children - not what's convenient for me.

Feel free to leave me a comment about your feelings.  Don't leave me a comment about grammar because I'm sure I'm off my game tonight.  I'll just change it in the morning. I hope everyone has a great night!


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment