Sunday, May 04, 2014

A Wary Heart

This past Thursday I made my weekly trip to Publix.  At first it was like any other trip.  We spent about an hour in the store and then we headed out to the truck.  But this time something different happened.  I was approached by a woman.  She seemed nice enough.  She was real apologetic about even asking, but said she needed to get her husband's prescriptions and asked for some help.  Help is my thing.  It's one of the few things I excel at.  So, I listened intently as she explained the circumstances.  She went on to say that they were hungry and had other problems, but that she just wanted his prescriptions filled.  I told her that I would help her, but to wait until I finished putting my groceries in the truck.  When I was done I started to head back inside assuming that's where the prescriptions were.  She asked if I was going to the ATM.  I told her that I was going inside to pay for his prescriptions.  She then added that they weren't at Publix, but were at Walmart and she just needed the cash.

Now, while I love to help people out I refuse to hand out cash to people.  I told her that I didn't have cash nor do I carry a debit card.  I only use credit cards.  She seemed upset so I offered to buy them some food since she said they were hungry.  We were at a grocery store after all.  She looked at me with the strangest look (maybe a look of shame?) and said that she only needed cash.

I got in the truck and headed to Kroger, but the scenario was still running through my head.  The truth is I did have a debit card, but I didn't want to give her cash.  Why?  Because I didn't trust her.  I had no way of knowing what she would buy with the money if I gave it to her.  It's sad that our society has come to this.  I can't help people without being wary about it.  In fact, the more I think about it I am skeptical of so many things these days.  I don't even watch the news anymore because it's nothing but heartbreak and nonsense.  At least once a week I contemplate home schooling my kids because of some craziness that happened in a local school system.

I miss the days where your kids could play outside without worrying if someone will hurt them.  I miss the days of leaving your doors unlocked because you had nothing to worry about.  I miss not having to pay for a security system because a shady lady came to your house and made it obvious she was casing it.  I miss being able to make a phone call and not worrying if the government was listening in on your business.  Most of all, I miss being able to trust the people you came across.

This world is not the same world I grew up in and it's taking me some time to get used to it.
Or maybe I never will.


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment