Friday, May 08, 2015

I Had No Idea...

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing. -- Aristotle

I had no idea that when I posted about our decision to home school our children that I would catch a backlash from my community. I expected the usual blog trolls to make a rude comment or two, but not people I know. Don't get me wrong. I received a much larger amount of wonderful messages from friends accepting and praising our decision.
But I also got nastiness and criticism.

When I hear of someone taking drastic measures in order to provide the best for their family I give all of my support. Because isn't that what it's all about? You know, doing all that you can for those you love even if it means less for you?

I knew that not everyone would agree with me, but I didn't expect the name calling and insults on my intelligence. That's just tacky.

Somehow, a few took our decision personal. As if I based my very life changing decision on them. The only people that matter in this situation call me mommy and wifey.
Somehow, my list of homeschooling benefits got misinterpreted as an attack on all the teachers and that is NOT the case at all. I'm not that mom. Matter of fact, if my youngest didn't have so many health issues I would keep him and my daughter in their current school that I absolutely LOVE. But like I said in my previous blog post homeschooling is what works best for our family.
That's not to say that our school system doesn't have issues because it does. As does all public schools - it's a nationwide problem. The funny thing is that everyone knows what the problems are. They're plastered all over the newspaper and even on the news. The whispers can be heard everywhere and yet nothing is done about it. The problems are not new, but the person who decides to make a change is the bad person.

I'm OK being the bad person.

Be the change you want to see in the world. -- Ghandi


I'm wondering if the teachers who have and are retiring early to home school their children are catching the same backlash? Or what about the teachers who took their kids out of public schools and put them in private schools? No? 
Interesting.

I have talked to many, many other parents who feel exactly the way I do. And many more have reached out to me in the past 24 hours. I'm not alone. I'm just the first voice heard.

Have you watched me stay up all night giving my child breathing treatments because he can't breathe? Have you gone with me to the several doctor's appointments each month because my son can't get well from a simple head cold? Have you watched me make my child redo his homework five times until he got it right and neat even though that meant him getting to bed past midnight? Have you sat in numerous teacher conferences with me as I tried to figure out what the problems my child is facing are? Have you sat up with me as I cried myself to sleep knowing that my child is being bullied?

If you haven't experienced these things with me then your opinion does not matter.

Bottom line?

The lack of maturity and the heartbreaking ugliness I am getting from a few local teachers about our decision to home school our children only makes me that much more confident in my decision. If I wasn't sure I was making the right decision before I damn sure am now.

Stand up for what you believe in even if it means standing alone.


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment