Friday, August 03, 2012

No Buttermilk?

I never buy buttermilk.  Back in the day I would buy a carton and use 1 cup of it and forget about it until it went bad.  I just don't use it enough to buy it.  I always have milk on hand though.  And you know what?  It is super simple to make buttermilk out of regular milk.  Just add 1 Tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice to one cup of milk.  Let it sit for about 5 minutes and voila! you have a buttermilk substitute.

You can even make real buttermilk if you happen to have heavy cream.  Just fill a jar halfway with the heavy cream and put the lid on tightly.  Shake it for several minutes until you see a big chunk of yellow stuff.  That yellow stuff is butter and the liquid left over is buttermilk.

It seems like more fun to use the heavy cream method, but I never have heavy cream either.  I'm thinking I'll go buy some today just to do this.

Now, go make me some biscuits! :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Publix Grocery Haul 4-17-24

  (4) Tena Pads $6.39 use $4/1 printables from coupons.com use $3/1 Publix coupons from the Extra Savings Flyer use $10/$25 Publix eCoupon g...