Thursday, March 31, 2011

Shopping Frugal Style

I have a set of rules that I go by to limit what I buy and how I buy it:

  1.  I always ask myself "Will my family or I eat it or is it going to take up space in my pantry?"  I have tons of food that I bought just because it was cheap and it ended up sitting on the shelf collecting dust. (Just ask my sister I just gave her several cans of chopped chicken because I bought it and no one in our house would eat it!)
  2. Don't buy fresh herbs - the dried ones are cheaper and last longer.  I grow my own and dry them myself for later use. 
  3. Most couponers always go for the smallest package that they can use a coupon for and I do that as well.  There are times when I use them for larger packages.  For instance, a few weeks ago Publix had the 20 lb bags of Mahatma Rice on sale for $7.99.  The 1 lb packages cost $1.19.  I had one $.50 coupon left.  Sure, I could have used it to get the 1 lb package of rice for only $.19, but I chose to use it towards the larger package.  We eat a lot of rice and I would have needed more than just 1 lb to last me until I snagged up some more coupons.  So I got the 20 lb bag for only $6.99 after the coupon and the bag is lasting me quite some time.  Buying 20 1 lb packages would cost $23.80!
  4. Don't buy pre-cut or pre-packaged items.  Take the time and cut items yourself - I posted HERE about how doing a little extra work yourself can save you money.
  5. Learn the regular prices at your store.  Just because something is listed as "on sale" doesn't mean that it's a good deal.  A lot of stores advertise lots of meat sales this way.
  6. Go generic!  I buy generic for items all the time - especially on medication.  Pick up a bottle of generic brand medication and the national brand.  All you need to know is the "Active Ingredients."  If it's the same go with the generic unless a coupon makes the national brand less than the generic.  Don't be a brand snob!
  7. Just because an item is listed on sale 4 for $5 doesn't mean that you HAVE to buy 5 to get them at that price - unless otherwise stated.  If you only need two you would just pay $1.25 each. 
  8. Always get rain checks if your store is out of something on sale.
  9. Watch the screen as items are scanned in - this way the cashier can fix it at the register if there's a mistake instead of you having to head to Customer Service - saving you time and aggravation.
  10. Make a list and stick to it.  I used to be the world's worst impulse buyer!  Now I make a menu and get only what I need.
  11. Don't shop when you're hungry.  You are much more likely to grab unneccessary items when you're hungry.  No kidding!
  12. Don't drive all over the world trying to catch a sale.  For instance, does it really make much sense to drive 50 miles to get a pair of flip flops on sale for $1.99 down from $3.50?
  13. Grocery stores routinely place the most expensive items at eye view so check the higher and lower shelves for lower priced items.
  14. Take your calculator to the store with you.
  15. Get a babysitter if you can.  Children often beg for items and us moms tend to grab the item just to please the child.  Do you really need that $4 Dora balloon?
  16. Don't forget your coupon binder!
Does anybody have any other great rules they'd like to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Publix Couponing Grocery Haul 8-5-26

 Reminder: I live in "Half Price BOGO Land" which means items ring up half price at the register. If you live in Florida, you will...