Saturday, June 29, 2013

Oatland Island and Fort Pulaski

I've posted about Oatland Island before, but I don't think I have about Fort Pulaski.  When we feel like getting out of the house we head to the islands.  I get lots of emails from readers asking about great places to visit when they are in town.  I highly recommend both of these places!

First we stopped in at Oatland Island.
My hubby was trying to even out his golfer's tan.

These little Skinks were everywhere.

Pretty little guy.

Madison found a baby frog and was all upset that we wouldn't let her keep it.

The cost to get into Oatland Island is $5 per adult, $3 per child (4-17) and children under 3 are free.  Military, students and Seniors (65+)  gets in for $3.
The hours are 10am - 5pm.
The ticket booth, Gift Shop, barnyard, cougar and bobcat exhibits close at 4pm.
The Welcome Center closes at 4:30pm


Next up was Fort Pulaski.  This place is beautiful.  Not only do I love historic monuments, I love them really close to the beach!  We usually pack a lunch and eat in the picnic area, but we didn't today.

They do daily musket firings and on Saturdays they fire the cannon.

This is the Cockspur Island Lighthouse.  There's a trail that takes you out to the lighthouse, but my kids were "too tired" to walk to it - they're a bunch of yuppies. :o)

A view from inside the fort.  Almost every time I go we see an alligator in the moat and we play the "Who can find the 'gator game."  We didn't see one this time.

My kiddos' favorite part is the bunkers.  They love running through them like they're a maze.

They say it's like the Shire from Lord of the Rings and pretended to be looking for Frodo Baggins.

There's a lot to do out here and if you take your kids make sure to ask about the Junior Ranger program inside the Visitor Center. My little ones love doing these!

The cost to get in is $5 per adult.  Children under 16 are free.  Military also gets in free.  Plus, keep your receipt because it's good for an additional 6 days of visitation.
The hours are 9am - 6pm (during the summer)
The bridge gate closes at 5:15pm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Publix Grocery Haul 4-24-24

  (1) Bic Soleil razors $2.84 (reg. $5.84) use $4/1 Publix eCoupon (1) Siggi's yogurt cup B1G1 $2 use Get One Free Publix eCoupon - auto...